We recently spent a week in Charleston, South Carolina. I tried making the following recipe at home. It is very delicious and similar to what we had on our trip at the Hominy Grill restaurant. For those of you who follow the Dinosaur Logs, I will be posting the Charleston log shortly, along with some recipes like this one. Enjoy
Shrimp Bog from Charleston, South Carolina
• 1/2 pound Andouille or other smoked sausage
• 2 medium onions finely chopped
• 1-1/2 cups uncooked long grain rice
• 3-1/4 cups defatted chicken broth
• 1-1/2 cups peeled and chopped tomatoes with juices (I used canned)
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
• 1-1/2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
• 1 teaspoon salt
• 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
• 1/4 teaspoon each cayenne and black pepper
• 2 pounds medium shrimp cleaned
• 1/4 cup chopped parsley
• In a Dutch oven, fry sausage over medium heat until the sausage is done, then drain and set aside. When cool, cut into 1/2 inch pieces.
• Pour off most of the fat, then add onions to pot and cook 3 minutes over medium.
• Add rice, 2-1/4 cups broth, tomatoes, lemon juice, Worcestershire, salt, nutmeg and cayenne.
• Bring to a low simmer then cover and cook for 20 minute or until rice is cooked.
• Stir in black pepper and mix well.
• Stir in sausage, shrimp and remaining cup broth and cook uncovered for 10 minutes.
• Stir bog with a fork then adjust seasonings and sprinkle parsley on top.